Ok ok. I realize I am wayyyyyyyyyyyyy overdue for a blog post. I'm sorry! So to make up for it, I'm giving you a recipe post. Woo! Today I'm sharing my recipe for Perfectly Easy Stuffed Peppers. These are easy, rich and ridiculously awesome on chilly fall and winter nights. I've made these twice in the past three weeks!
For this recipe you will need:
- 6 bell peppers (I used red and green peppers)
- 2 cups cooked rice (I used white rice because I had it on hand, but brown rice would work fine! Even quinoa would be great here)
- 1 lb ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I used Prego Heart Smart Traditional)
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced thick
- 1/2 of a sweet onion, diced (this is optional...I don't like onion but hubby does! So I put onion in his peppers and did mine without)
- EVOO to drizzle
- About 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat your oven to 375.
Slice the tops off of your peppers and remove any seeds from inside. Set the peppers in a baking dish (I prefer to use my Pampered Chef stoneware baking dish for these) and lightly drizzle EVOO over them.
Cook your rice.
Sauté your diced onions, if you're using them. Remove cooked onions from the pan and cook your ground sausage.
Add rice, onion (again, optional), tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese to the pan and mix together. Fill your peppers with this mixture and top each with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
You can serve these with additional tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese, if you prefer. Bonus: because of the oils from the EVOO, meat and peppers, these reheat incredibly well. Perfect for the next day's lunch! Enjoy!