Today's cookie recipe is brought to you by my friend, and fellow Knottie, Ellen! Throughout this series you'll be seeing several Knottie cookie recipes. My July 2010 Knotties are all friends who had a wedding date in July 2010. We connected via theknot.com and throughout the years, we've kept in touch almost daily and my Knotties are just the most incredible group of women! I am pleased to feature some of their recipes here :)
Recipe- this is a double recipe.
1 ½ cups shortening/Crisco
2 cups sugar
½ cup dark molasses
4 t baking soda
4 cups flour
1 t cloves
1 t ginger
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1. Melt the shortening over low heat and let it cool.
2. Use the cooling time to gather all the other ingredients.
3. Using a mixer, beat the sugar, molasses, eggs and shortening well.
4. Mix dry ingredients together and then add to the wet mixture.
5. Mix well!
6. Chill the dough for at least an hour, preferably 3-4 or longer.
7. When ready to bake, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Roll dough into 1-inch balls
9. Coat the balls with sugar by rolling them in a bowl of sugar.
10. Place on cookie sheet and slightly flatten the ball with the bottom of a glass.
11. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes (8 if you like softer cookies, 10 if you like crispier cookies).
My recipe says you need to grease the cookie sheet… but depending on your cookie sheet, you may not need to.